Tuesday, July 26, 2005

On the Wagon

I've been dieting for two weeks now and trying to decide what's right for me. I haven't actually devoted myself to dieting in a long time. I used to "pretend" to diet, which would be about 3 days of me doing what I think works, and then I'd go back to my old eating habits.

As you may have seen in my comment to Sandi, I started at 273 amd am down to 262 now. I am still a size 24-26 and at the largest I have ever been. I've been heavy since the 4th grade. I did Jenny Craig once and lost about 30 pounds, but the Slurpees from 7-11 sabotaged me. So here I am again, doing Weight Watchers for now. I'm not in the program, but friends and family have done it before with results, so I'm following their lead. So far 11 pounds down. Can't complain!

I think I would do best on a low carb, high protein diet. I was prepared to do "Lean for Life" which yields great results and is not unhealthy. But Jabe wants to lose some weight too, and it was too restricting for him. He doesn't have much to lose, so when he's done, I'll probably make the switch (unless this diet just blows me away).

I am very happy to say, for the first time I am excited about dieting and not angry or tired of it. I knew this feeling would come before any diet would work. You have to wake up one day and suddenly your whole outlook is different and you just "know" you're ready. I know it's only 2 weeks, but I can feel my attitude changing. I don't have to eat enough for 4 people, and better yet, even my stomach is feeling it! I can't eat as much as I used to without feeling incredibly full. I guess the stomach gets used to those smaller portions!

I'm not an expert, but I know two things that have made a big difference. Eating frequent, small meals or snacks... and WATER! We all know about the benefits of water, but we still choose to ignore it. Trust me, that's the trick! It's already recommended that you drink 8 glasses (64 oz) a day, but did you know it's really recommended to take half your weight, and that's how many ounces you should drink? That makes mine 130 oz. a day! Anyway, I'm rambling, so I'll let you go back to your regularly scheduled programs! Have a great day!

3 Comments:

Blogger Sandi said....

Water is the key, but do not go overboard. Electrolyte emblances are deadly, and it is easy to go out of whack if you drown in water every day. As you increase your water be very sure that the diet is well balanced with all the fruits and veggies.
Which I hate to eat, by the way. LOL I am glad it is working for you, keep it up.

7/26/2005 6:49 AM  
Blogger Kat said....

I've read a study recently where they are no longer saying we need to drink 8 glasses of water a day....it was proving to be too much water. They weren't taking into account the water in food and they were saying you had to drink the water on top of soda/coffee/tea/etc...which is wrong. It all counts.

7/26/2005 8:08 AM  
Blogger Kat said....

PS: YAY on 2 weeks...it is said that it takes 3 weeks to make a habit, you're sooo close! I do the low carb/high protein diet and absolutely LOVE it...I'm not on it now, but I soon will be!

7/26/2005 8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home